Image

Carleton Place Town Hall

Address: 175 Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ontario

Built in 1897 - Architect: George W. King

A landmark that is important both historically and architecturally, Carleton Place Town Hall is a fine example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The hall was completed in 1897 at a cost of $26,000. The council chamber, old-style concert auditorium and park behind the building are not to be missed.



 

 

 

Moore House
Moore House


Moore House

Address: 170 Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ontario 

Moore House was originally built by the Moore family around 1850 as a home, and later was turned into a general store. The family was one of the first to settle in Carleton Place. The log structure was retrofitted and moved to its present location in the spring of 2007.  According to local folklore ,the ghost of Ida Moore is still present in the house. 
Over the many years, since the untimely death of Ida, people in the house have reported strange noises, movement of objects, radios being turned off and on and windows being opened and closed.  It is said  by all who have encountered Ida that she is a very friendly spirit but one that likes to play tricks on the inhabitants of the house.  Ida passed alway in 1900 from consumption/TB.  Ida was about to go off to music school to become a teacher when she became ill and passed away.  Every small town has a ghost story and this one is ours.

 

Old Federal Building
Old Federal Building

Old Federal Building ( Post Office)

Address: 79-81 Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ontario
 
Built in: 1891-92   Architect: Thomas Fuller
 
The old Federal Building ( post office) is built in the Romanesque Rival Architectual style in 1891-92 by the federal government. This building was built to house the village post office and customs offices. To this point the postal service was located in private businesses.
 
The architect was Thomas Fuller who was the architect for the parliament buildings in Ottawa.  The buidling is 2 1/2 stories high and made of 3 types of stone. Limestome quarried in Beckwith Township has been used in the buildings front walls and two side walls.  The back wall is made of brick.  Red sandstone brought as far away as New Brunswick by train was used for cornices, belt, window and door trimmings. Take note of an incription stone above the top story window with the initials V.R. which stands for Victoria Regina.  Queen Victoria was the reigning Monarch from 1837 to 1901. 
Clock, added 1913
Clock, added 1913
  In 1913, a town clock was added with a 150 pound pendulum. The weight driven clock was manufactured by John Smith of The Midland Clockworks in Derby England.  The massive 800 lbs. brass bell located behind the clock tower was manufactured by John Taylor of Longborough. The four stained glass faces of the clock measure 5 feet 6 inches in diameter.
 
The honour of putting the clock in motion was given to Howard Dack, and his father James H. Dack  was given custody of keeping the clock running and in good repair. Unfortunately, after the building went into private hands, this beautiful clock has fallen into disrepair and no longer runs.  Let's hope sometime in the future that the clock can be restored to its former glory.
 
Today, in 2013, the building is in private hands, and is being renovated. Next time you are downtown take a moment to look closely at this wonderful building and image the day when the historic clock will once again run, and keep time.
 
 
 
Slackoni's ( Old Boulton Grist Mill)
Slackoni's ( Old Boulton Grist Mill)

Slackoni's Fine Italian Cuisine Restaurant

Address: 35 Mill Street, Carleton Place, Onatio

Built: Stone Structure 1820's    Architect: Unknown

Slackconi's Fine Italian Cuisine Restaurant located at 35 Mill Street is a fine example of a heritage building being lovingly restored and refitted.  The original stone structure dates back to the 1820's when it was first built as a grist mill by Hugh Boulton. Take the time to tour this lovely building, and enjoy the spectacular views of the Mississippi River Falls from the restaurant patio. The patio and restaurant is open daily for lunch and dinner.

Carleton Place - Bridge Street 1930
Carleton Place - Bridge Street 1930

 

Walk Historic Downtown Carleton Place 

Shop, Dine and enjoy the architectural aspects of each building in our downtown.  Starting at the town hall stroll down the street enoying the shops or dine at one of our fine restaurants.

 

Heritage Inn ( Mississippi Hotel)
Heritage Inn ( Mississippi Hotel)


Heritage Inn ( Mississippi Hotel)


Address: 7 Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ont.

The Mississippi Hotel was built in 1872 from Beckwith limestone for Napoleon Lavallee and was further enlarged in 1890 by Walter McIlquham.  In it's heyday, the  hotel was considered one of the finest between Ottawa and Toronto.  Carleton Place at the time was a railway junction town and the welcomed many a weary traveller.  In 1959, this grand old hotel suffered a devastating fire.  It was at this point when rebuilt, the building lost the upper floor and ornate verandas. The hotel in the 1970's and 1980's fell into disrepair and was close to being demolished but was saved through the efforts of local towns people.  In the early 1990's the hotel was refurbished and is presently being used as a hotel.
Queens Hotel (Texas Worthy)
Queens Hotel (Texas Worthy)


Texas Worthy  (Queen's Hotel)
 


Address: 142 Bridge Street. Carleton Place, Ontario

Since Carleton Place was a railway juction, the town had quite a few established hotels who catered to the comforts of travellers, and businees people conducting business in the bustling town.  In 1870, Duncan McIntosh, built and established McIntosh House on this site. In 1882, the hotel was purchased by Mrs. M.J. Chatterton, and operated as Chatterton House. In the late 1880's the hotel was bought by Peter Salter who doubled the size, and renamed it the Queen's Hotel. Mr Salter sold the business back to Mrs. Chatterton in 1890.  Throught the years the establishment has had various owners, and still to this day is run as a hotel, restaurant and bar.  So take the time to visit this wonderful building and enjoy the best smoked ribs in the Ottawa Valley at the Texas Worthy located in this heritage building.


Canadian Co-Operative Wool Growers (Old CPR Roundhouse and Shop)
Canadian Co-Operative Wool Growers (Old CPR Roundhouse and Shop)


Canadian Co-Operative Wool Growers (Old CPR Roundhouse and Shop)

Built in: 1872    Architect: unknown

The railway constructed a large stone roundhouse and machine shop at Carleton Place in 1872, and continued to use this location until 1939. Since 1940, the Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers have occupied the old roundhouse. Come and enjoy railway memorabilia, the Real Wool Shop Boutique and the tack/western clothing equestrian centre.
 

Image

McNeely Tannery


Address: 12 Bell Street Carleton Place, Ontario

In 1861, Bryce McNeely established a tannery in a simple stone building on the north shore of the Missisippi River.  Mr. McNeely continued to run the tannery for 40 years.  The building has had various uses over the years with it finally being converted to a resturant and pub.  Stop by and enjoy lunch or dinner on the patio overlooking the Mississippi River.

Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum


Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum and The Canada Veterans' Hall of Valour

Address: 267 Edmund Street, Carleton Place, Ontario

Built in 1872  - Architect: William Rorison 

This stone building, constructed in 1872, was originally the town hall and lockup. It now houses the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum and The Canada Veterans’ Hall of Valour. Discover the exhibits and displays in both venues. Afterwards, enjoy the Victorian garden or walk in quiet reflection in our community labyrinth on the museum grounds.

 

St. James Anglican Church
St. James Anglican Church


St. James Anglican Church

Address: 225 Edmund Street, Carleton Place, Ontario 

Built in 1881 - Architect: Henry Carre (Carr)

This vernacular Gothic church with its steep roof, buttresses, pointed windows, cruciform plan and offset tower is a classic of this type. The interior is rich with many original features. Note the century-old pipe organ, beautiful stained-glass windows and soaring beamed ceilings. Visit the adjacent park for a picturesque view of the Mississippi River and town hall.


 

Image


St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

Address: 39 Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ontario 

Built in 1887  - Architect: Sidney R. Badgley

This Gothic revival stone church, built in 1887 on donated land, features pointed arched windows, a vaulted ceiling and a magnificent tower. The church was built from native stone, with Beckwith stone trimming, at a cost of $10,500. Sidney R. Badgley was a prominent church architect in both Canada and the United States.

St. John's Masonic Temple
St. John's Masonic Temple


St. John's No. 63 Masonic Lodge

Address: 55 Bridge Street Carleton Place, Ontario

Built in 1913 - Architect: unknown

The history of freemasonry is deeply rooted in our community. On November 25th, 1842, a group met at Manny Nolan's tavern to petition for depensation. The first installation of officers occured January 20th, 1843 after formal granting in December of 1842.  The present lodge building was contructed in 1913 after the first hall was distroyed by fire in the great fire of 1910 in Carleton Place.

McArthur Mill ( Bates and Innis)and Island
McArthur Mill ( Bates and Innis)and Island

McArthur Mill and Island


Address: Mill Street, Carleton Place, Ontario

Built in 1871 ( Stone structure)  Architect: Unknown

Located on an island and on the bank of the Mississippi River, this building is a fine example of a late 1800's commercial mill operation.  The large 4 storey stone structure was constructed by Archibald McArthur in 1871, and served in the beginning as a woollen mill with serveral different owners until 1907. In 1907, McArthur Mill was aquired by Bates and Innis who converted the old woollen mill to a knitting factory.  The other adjoining brick structure was added after 1907.  A highlight of this building, is the reminence of the old water-powered turbines at the side of the stone building.  Today, this wonderful building with it's beautiful setting is available for lease.  Next door to the old mill a new condominium building is to be purposed, and will feature breath taking views of the Mississippi River. 

Arklan Island Sawmill and Bridge
Arklan Island Sawmill and Bridge


Arklan Island Saw Mill

Address: Mississippi River, North-east of McNeely Ave Bridge

This vintage photo of the Arklan Island Saw Mill and bridge was taken Sunday May 14th, 1939.  The island is ownd by the Town of Carleton Place and was donated to the town for future parkland.  The building you see in the picture is now in ruins and the old bridge across was removed many years ago. The island is only accessable by boat today but the ruins and stone channel walls can still be seen today. The island is steeped in history going back to the 1820's.  If you look on the historic 1833 district map, the sawmill is noted and it is called Bailey's Mills.  It should also should be noted that Carleton Place's first hydro electic plant was located near the Aklan Island Bridge.

Original Fire Hall
Original Fire Hall


Original Fire Hall

Address: 250 Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ontario

Carleton Place has been blessed with one of the finest Fire Departments in Canada.  The Ocean Wave Fire Company was formed in 1875 replacing earlier groups dating back to 1853.  It was in 1868 or 69 when the town trialled it's new hand pumper near the central bridge in town ( requiring 40 men to operate) the name of the fire company was born.   As the men forced the breaks on the pumper,  to cry of "heave her down", and as the great stream of water rose towards the sky from the hose, the late James Murphy exclaimed with great rapture: "The Ocean Wave".  Thus, the fire company from that day on was christened  " The Ocean Wave Fire Company".  
 
Image

Dr Johnson House

Address: Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ontario

Originally owned by Robert Bell, the property first held a white frame home.
 
The present house was built in 1902 by Dr. M.A. MacFarlane, who fashioned the red brick home after a house in Scotland.

After Dr. MacFarlane’s death, the house was rented to Doctor’s Downing and Ferrill.

In 1924 Dr. Allen Johnson bought the home, and with his wife Annie established a medical practice  that was to last 45 years.
Fire in 1945
Fire in 1945
The house suffered a major fire in 1945. They had the house reconstructed from the original blueprints, adding  a new furnace, plumbing and wiring.

“Dr. Johnston said he intended on having a "modern “z-ray department" constructed with his office and parts of the building would reflect the modern trend to offer better facilities for service to the public.” Carleton Place Canadian Dec. 1945.

McLinton
McLinton
 

McLinton’s Service Station and Korner Bar

 

Address: 386 High Street, Carleton Place, Ontario

 

We have all heard of old schoolhouses and churches losing their ‘clientele’ over time and being given a new lease on life as residences. Would you believe that an old service station could be as charmed?

 

Before the Highway 7 bypass was built, truckers and vacationers alike would have to come down Bridge Street and High Street, making McLinton’s service station and snack bar a popular spot to stop for pie and ice cream.

 

David Lemuel ‘Lemmy’ McLinton and his eldest son, Russell, could fill your tank with Supertest gasoline, make your car hum again if it needed fixing (and this without computer-assisted diagnostics), and they also provided that now rarely seen commodity, a phone booth for their traveling guests or teenage sweethearts needing to touch base and coo privately.

With the bypass rerouting traffic, and the novelty that was ‘soft ice cream’ being served downtown, the McLintons eventually closed shop.

Can you see the ghost of the old service station and snack bar in the current residence?

 
Zion-Memorial United Church
Zion-Memorial United Church

Zion-Memorial United Church

Address: Franklin Street, Carleton Place, Ontario

 

 

This wonderful stone church is a fine example Romanesque Architectual style.  Built orginally as a Methodist church, the corner-stone was laid on the 6th of May, 1888.  The first worship service was held December 9th, 1888. The following year the church bell was hoisted into the tower.  In 1913, the church was filled with the beautiful sound, when a Casavant Bros. pipe organ installed.  In 1939, the old Sunday schoool hall was demolished and a new hall was erected.  At that time, a copper time capule was laid with the corner stone on 24th of June 1939.  In 1947, a set of chimes honouring the men and women of the congregation who served in World War II was dedicated. Each Sunday since 1947, the chimes accompanied by the organ can be heard before the Sunday service in rememberance.

Church Fire 1954
Church Fire 1954
  On Saturday, 6 February, 1954,  a devastating fire struck this beautiful stone church.  The fine woodwork and wonderful old organ were gone.  The only part of the church standing after the fire was the bell tower and steeple of the church.  The church congregation held services in the town hall until such time as the church could be rebuilt.  The Presbytery requested the congregation to consider merging with Zion, but the decision in both churches was in the negative, and Memorial Park was re-built, opening for worship on Sunday, 22 May, 1955. The church was rebuilt in a simular style as the old church.
   The church is located across the street from Memorial Park where the town remembers the men and women who paid the ultimate sacifice in the wars that Canada has fought.